Monday, March 9, 2009

Worth the wait

Sorry for the long delay in posting. My computer died about two weeks ago, and I've been suffering from blogger's withdrawl ever since.

In the meantime, I spent an amazing week in Belize. While there, I admittedly took a break from wines and enjoyed the local beer (Belikin) and the Belizan rum, both of which come highly recommended. One Barrell rum is up for a worldwine rum of the year award.

My one wine during the week, however, was a winner. It was a 2005 Trivento Golden Reserva Malbec. Yes, another Malbec. I'll work on tasting some other varieties soon enough, I promise. But in the meantime, if you can get your hands on this wine, do so.

From 100 - 120-year-old vineyards, this Argentinian wine's grapes are hand-harvested and cold macerated for two days to bring out the grapes' sweetness. Lots of huge, minty, very eucalypt and menthol character. All new French oak gives a charry quality. Sweet, creamy, black berry and plum fruit, with lots of glossy cherry and a real bite of tannin, but it is supple and fine, with a nice freshening acidity.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to share your thoughts, comments or questions.